Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

When Will the Tantrum Barfing Stop?!?

Today we had a "throw such a bad tantrum in the grocery store that we have to leave without groceries" moment. It was wonderful. Especially the part before we left the grocery store where people were actually stopping and pointing at us as they whispered to their shopping companions what a horrible child I had. Seriously, all that was missing was some popcorn and some lawn chairs.

It started because I had the nerve to unbuckle her from her carseat instead of letting her do it herself. Because I was in a hurry and because when she does it herself it takes her 10 minutes and for-the-love-of-God, just let me take it off for you already! So she was already kicking and screaming before we walked into the store. And I made the rookie mistake of thinking "oh, she'll calm down, it will be fine". It was not fine.

And then to top it off, once we got back to the car after our wonderful mid-shopping tantrum, it just got worse as she started screaming "I wanna go back inside!!!!! Back inside!!!!!!!" As I wrestled her writhing, kicking, screaming body into her carseat, she got so bad that she threw up all over herself.

At this point I gave the day up for lost. On the way home I stopped quickly at a friends house to tell her that we wouldn't be making it to our regularly planned "put the kids to nap in a separate room and surrender ourselves to 3 trashy hours of Kardashians" date that was in half an hour. She saw how upset I was so being the good friend she is, she gave me a half a loaf of freshly baked banana chocolate chip bread to take home. Which I promptly ate in it's entirety during the 2 minute drive home. Emotional eating at it's best, folks.

My only comfort (other than that glorious bread!) is that I get to hang out with my girlfriends this evening at a pedi party. Sangria here I come!

3 comments:

Tina said...

I'm so sorry Andrea! At least you got to eat some of Amy's yummy banana bread! It will stop at some point, they become more rational, you learn little tricks to help talk them down. If you need some babysitting time let me know!

Kristin J said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I bet some of those people were stopping and watching because they had been in your shoes at one point with their children. I hope the vast majority of people are sympathetic instead of critical when they see a Mom struggling with a tantruming child.

Anonymous said...

I don't know you but my daughter has been throwing nighttime barfing tantrums before bed ... instead of bed? I sympathize.