Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Gabrielle's Birth Story

Welcome baby Gabrielle!

Gabrielle was my first non-induction baby! 
We had a voluntary induction scheduled for the morning of February 16th, but contractions woke me up about 4am that morning.  By the time we got to the hospital for our 7am induction time, I was already in active labor and was 6cm and 80% effaced!  The midwife and nurse on call that day were absolutely amazing, and mostly left me alone as I entered my "zone".  I was able to use deep relaxation techniques to put myself almost to sleep through the contractions up until about noon which is when back labor started to kick in.

Let me just say how much I HATE back labor.  I had it with Rafael too, and it is the absolute worst!  I had about an hour of IV meds at which point I was already 9cm so they wouldn't let me have any more.  I had about an hour of really hard labor before I felt the need to push.  I had to push very slowly because her cord was wrapped around her neck, but she was born at 2:06pm - a perfectly healthy beautiful baby girl!  Once they were sure her oxygen was fine I got to cuddle with her for a nice long time.  My dad, who was watching Michaela and Rafael, stopped by and visited us with the kids.  They were happy to see the baby but I don't think it was really real for them yet.

We went home the next afternoon and my dad brought the kids home the morning after that.  Philip was luckily able to take a couple of extra days off of work (so 4 in total) and we took the time to get used to having 3 kids!

Things have been going pretty well!  While the older kids have watched WAY more TV than is healthy for them, I've been pleasantly surprised by how much easier the adjustment is going this time around.  I think it's because Michaela and Rafael have each other to play with and are already fairly independent.  I can't believe it's already been 3 weeks!

0 comments: