Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, July 12, 2008

No Opium For Baby....

Last night as the evening wound to a close, everything in Mommy Land seemed to be ok. Michaela took her usual evening nap and we took a short little walk around the neighborhood to wind down the day. We got ready for bed as usual, but when I laid down to nurse her to sleep, it was quite apparent that all was not right. My little one decided that she was wide awake and not the least bit interested in sleep.

Playing with her did not appease her, nor did it expend her energy. Daddy and I both tried to walk her to sleep and while Philip managed to get her to sleep, the minute he put her down, she was wide awake again. I even tried o feed her again, now almost two hours later. It was already 11 o'clock, and as those of you who know that I do not function after 9pm can imagine, I was at my wits end!

OK, time to pull out the big guns. I grabbed the bottle of gripe water, an herbal supplement that I used when Michaela was reallly colicky, and gave her some in the hopes it woul put her to sleep. It worked! Twenty minutes later I carefully climbed into bed with her, taking care not to wake her again. While I'm glad it worked and I know it was just herbs that have no harmful effect on baby, I couldn't help but feel a little guilty, like one of those 18th century moms that gave their babies laudanum to get them to sleep. C'est la vie, until next time......

0 comments: